Wednesday, February 7, 2007

RUN Forest RUN!

Well today was the official begining of my running training. Not only myself, but also my girlfriend, who is training for her first triathlon. With all the cold weather we've been having, as opposed to the spring-like weather we had in December and January, we haven't had a chance to do much running in the past few weeks. So now that my training is picking back up to at least 5 days a week, I am trying to get my base training down on all events. As a natural runner, I tend to spend most of my time training for the bike and run. Also, I had 2 late season runs events at the end of last season, so my running should still be relatively ok. However, I have to log some base miles to make sure my fitness is there.

Our workout consisted of 50 minutes on the treadmill, including the cool down. The workout was 15 minutes of warm up followed by 5 sets of 4 minute race pace/1 minute recovery intervals and then a cool down. I felt really good on all of the sets and increased my pace each time. At one point, I really settled into the pace and felt like I could have kept it forever. I was glad to see my endurance from last season hasn't completely gone, as I have entered a lottery and plan to race in at least 1 early season 10 miler. As much as I wanted to push myself harder, I kept saying that this is base training and I need to save the tough stuff for the main part of the season when I am peaking.

The nice thing about running on the treadmill is that the two of us could work out together without having to compromise my workout to run at my girlfriend's pace. This allowed us to each run our own pace, but keep in time with the intervals.

Hopefully, Puxatawny Phil was correct and spring is right around the corner so I don't have to run on the treadmill much longer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails