- Speak to Rebecca about my thoughts to make sure she is on board.
- The race must be family friendly, so Rebecca and Z can take care of themselves while I am out on the course.
- Relatively easy to travel to, to minimize the stress of getting to the race, and the number stops we might have to make in the event Z needs a car break.
- Obviously, a course that gives the potential for a fast time.
- Occurs in the month of March, so as to not get in the way of Rebecca's racing plans in April and doesn't disrupt coaching the =PR= DTPers.
- Mid sized race, so it isn't too lonely out on the course.
- Preferably a new course that I haven't run for the added excitement factor.
- 3/10 - Lower Potomac River Marathon: Somewhat local and would give the family the option of staying home in the event that weather isn't ideal for outside spectating. However, this could be a lonely race, as it is limited to only a few hundred participants.
- 3/16 - B&A Trail Marathon: I ran this last year and liked it a lot, and is close enough to drive to the morning of the race. However, it is very lonely in the 2nd half of the race for the marathoners and given the wind situation last year, I had to fight for those last 13.1 miles.
- 3/16 - Rock n Roll USA: One of the closest options available, so the convenience factor is high. However, I've run this race twice already, and it is now on the large side (25,000+), with a new, tougher course (IMO) with the climb up Rock Creek Park. I'd be giving up a lot of my list for convenience.
- 3/17 - Shamrock Marathon: A little bit further of a drive, and I've run it before. However, I could reserve a hotel right in the middle of everything (start, finish, post race party), we'd be at the beach (weather permitting this would be nice), and I really enjoyed this race the last time, despite my late struggles with the wind.
- 3/24 - Ocean Drive Marathon: Another option not too far away that provides a flat and fast course. However, it is a point to point race that tends to have a headwind, and would not be family friendly.
- 4/6 - Charlottesville Marathon - Close enough to drive down the morning of the race and it considered a scenic course. However, is considered hilly (hence the word, scenic) is runs into April, which I am trying to avoid.
I'm returning to VA Beach to avenge for my performance there 2 years ago with family in tow. It'll be nice to get away too!
Anyone else planning on racing Shamrock? If so, hope to see you there!