Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Putting Your Mind At Ease

You know those days when you just wish you could be someone else, or at least be somewhere else but where you are? I had one of those days today. No no, don't worry...this has nothing to do with questioning why I tri. Believe me, triathlon is one of the few things that keeps me sane right now...well aside from my loving girlfriend. Sometimes you have those days at work where you just really want to escape to another life or situation. And its always those days that tend to drag on and on. They seem like they will never end. All day long I kept repeating to myself, "Once the day is over, you can escape from it all by letting your mind go during the workout. There is a light at the end of the tunnel." And that is exactly what I have been doing.

You see, triathlon training is one of those things that gives me a break from the crap I have to deal with during the day. It brings relief to me in a way not many others things can. Yea sure I am working hard during my workout and the hard workouts hurt. But regardless of the workout, its the ability to release from all the worries of the day and focus on being one with your body and mind. During my hour long run today, the only thing I was thinking about was being smooth and steady. Smooth in form and steady in speed.

And this brings me to my discovery today. I have a new mantra. Last year, it was "one step at a time". When I would get tired, all I'd have to say to myself is, "Think about your next stroke, next revolution, or next stride" and that is what it took for me to get through anything. Take things one step at a time.

Now that last year is in the past, its time for a new mantra to drive me when I need mental motivation to keep pushing my limits. This year's mantra is "smooth and steady". So although my life at the office has been increasingly frustrating of late, once I leave, I can put my mind at ease and focus on being "smooth and steady".

So what's yours?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

awww.. i'm a loving girlfriend!

i think my matra is "almost there... almost done!"

Bigun said...

aaaaaaaa men, brothah!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails