Thursday, June 16, 2011

Progress

After a follow up appointment on my foot yesterday, I'm happy to say that things are moving in the right direction.  The good news is that there is no longer a gap between the chip fracture and the rest of my bone.  In other words, new bone has formed and is slowly taking back its shape.  The bad news is that it has to continue to develop and get stronger, so I will be in boot city for another three weeks.

In reality though, its not all that bad.  Hopefully by the end of this 6 week period, I'll get the approval to being able to get back out there.  In my mind, 6 weeks is long enough to really get my motivation and excitement for running back, but not too long where I will lose a ton of fitness.  I still feel fit and my weight hasn't really changed much at all, thanks to a small cut back in my regular diet and keeping up with cycling.

So all is not lost.  I thought I would have a harder time dealing with this than I am.  The reality is that I am looking forward to the start of our Fall distance training program starting up this weekend and the beginning of coaching lots of runners through a successful build to the Marine Corps Marathon (or whatever marathon people might be signed up for) in October.  So in the meantime, all my focus is toward helping others achieve their goals.  In some ways, this can be even more rewarding.

So that's all the news I got.  Hopefully better news to come in the 3 weeks.

3 comments:

Richard said...

I'm glad to hear that you're healing. I recently experienced an achilles injury, and have been off for six weeks too. I'm hopeful that, tonight at physical therapy, I'll be given the green light to start running again (I've been biking and swimming) at least for short distances. If all goes well, I'm going to sign up this weekend for the Miami 70.3 in late October . . . moving the tri season back a bit. Good luck with your recovery.

Richard (random age grouper that follows your blog)

it's all about pace said...

good to hear tha you are recovering well... and at least you can ride. Thanks for the feedback on my blog yesterday... good food for thought/planning and experimentaion.

B.o.B. said...

Down with boots! You are the third blogger I know who is currently residing in Boot City. Hope you heal up quickly. Kudos for trying to help others in the meantime. Paying it forward always yields high rewards.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails