Saturday, April 28, 2007

Mountain Biking at Last!

It seems that my weather rant worked and I was able to go riding after all. I got a bit scared though, because it was pouring here around 11:00 pm last night and I had to get up and check the radar to see if this was just a passing shower or what. Phew...it was only a tiny isolated shower that didn't even come close to Lorton, VA where I ride, which is about 30 miles south of DC. Fountainhead is by far the best trail in the immediate area. It is a challenging course and requires a good deal of technical skills to safely navigate the terrain and come out alive. Its about at 8-9 mile loop, which is normally enough, but sometimes if I'm feeling dangerous, I'll go for two loops. Since I had already gone for a great swim and this was only my 2nd time riding this year, I figured one loop would be more than enough. I was just hoping to escape without too many bruises.

Surprisingly, I only had one real fall, which left me with a slightly bruised wrist...but that's about it! I was headed up a steep ascent and figured I'd be friendly and ask a guy who was stopped at the middle of the hill if he was doing ok. Of course, talking to him distracted me from climbing the rooty hill and I got caught between two BIG roots. Unfortunately, I couldn't power over them and since it was a steep hill, couldn't slip out in time. Bike flipped back and landed on top of me...the usual result from a fall...or the one downside to using clipless pedals. Comes with the territory though.
One of the more technical descents on the trail - "Shock-a-Billy" Hill

I had a really good ride, technically. I hopped a few more logs, including several I typically don't try and made it through some of the more difficult sections that I have had issues with in the past. In all a great ride for only my second time out this year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails