Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Morning Run

Somewhere along the way during marathon training, I seemed to have lost what used to be a pretty big staple of my training routine - the morning run.  Whether done as an easy shake out, a chance to get in a run when the rest of the day will be busy, or trying to stack multiple workouts within an 18 hour period for a fitness boost, morning runs should be a part of anyone's repertoire.  If nothing else, they always leave you energized to take on the rest of the day.

Of course, the hardest part of it all is just getting out of bed.  And with some near perfect running weather in the afternoons, I've had little motivation to set the alarm any earlier than I have to in the mornings.  But this morning, I did just that and returned feeling refreshed, with endorphins running high, ready to get a move on with my day.

As I alluded to in my previous post, life is about to get a lot busier.  So I need to be able to adapt my schedule around when there is a window of time to get a run in.  Today for example, we have plans to go see Rodrigo y Gabriela tonight (awesome, awesome show), so the only chance I have for a run is this morning.  Other days, I might be able to get it in later.  Needless to say, I need to establish the pattern of committing to getting a run in no matter how - right now.  Because before I know it, we'll be busier than ever, just trying to hang on.

Running always has a place in life - whether it is to bring calmness to yourself from an exhausting day, get rid of excessive energy, or allow you to focus on things other than what you would be if you weren't running. 

I don't know what running is going to be for me once this little one comes into the world, but I sure am excited to find out.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

I thought I would poke my head in to explain the "Neon Bar Crawl" from Saturday night! I guess Ray didn't want to say he was involved in par-ty! Some of the guys are career drinkers and make sober look like a thing of the past! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails