Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Change is Good

After being convinced to find a less crowded pool by Rebecca than Washington and Lee, we ventured another few miles down the street to the other area pool, Yorktown. While walking through the doors, I felt like I was back at W&L. Same entry, same lockers, same pool layout. Since they were both built at the same time, I guess that makes sense. It was just weird. I knew I was somewhere different, but it felt the same. Only, there were less people. Woo! Sometimes I like swimming with more people in a lane though, because it forces you to take fewer breaks and makes you swim faster if there are faster people than you in your lane. This time, Rebecca and I were able to share a lane to ourselves, which was nice for a change.

After a couple hundred yards of warmup, I did a set of 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 increasing effort on each set. I still don't feel like I have my swim mojo back yet, but its getting there. While my endurance is there to swim 1 mile +, I need to work on my speed. I'm just not cranking out splits close to what I was hitting last year. One of these days, I'm going to make it to a Masters session, where they have stroke clinics. I'm pretty sure I just need some (probably a lot) of stroke mechanics to be fixed and all will be good.

In other news, my knee has been kind of bothering me from my 20 miler on Saturday. It started hurting a bit from miles 5 - 12 on my run, but then seemed to go away (or I stopped feeling the pain). Once I finished my run, the pain came back and I've been trying to ice it. Its not a contact thing from striking the ground, so I think that is good news. Its probably just tendinitis from all the running. I'll continue to ice and see how it feels in this recovery week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails