Sunday, December 2, 2007

Welcoming the cold

There are certain things you begin to appreciate about each season. When I think about the spring, I appreciate that there is more daylight to actually spend outside, rather than leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark. I obviously also appreciate the return of warmer weather. But with the return of colder temperatures to the area, I began thinking about what I appreciate about the colder temperatures. I mean, I HATE the fact that it is dark all the time. This means I have to get all my workouts in early during the week, since I prefer not to do them in the dark at night.

So what is it that I actually like about the cold weather? Well...thanks for asking. While I was on my first long run of my training yesterday, I reached into my pocket for the fuel I had been storing for the half way point. A Chocolate Clif Shot. I ripped it open and began to suck it down. And you know what? It actually tasted...dare I say...good. A nice thick consistency too. Almost like a spoonful of fudge. And of all flavors, it was chocolate. I never wrote about the experience, but when I was volunteering at the Mile 14 fuel station for the Marine Corps Marathon in October, Chocolate was one of the flavors that people were throwing back at you. As I handed them out, runners would respond with things like "Chocolate?!?! nasty...I'll try the next person" or "Have YOU tried Chocolate? Its awful". (And thus ended my attempts at handing out any more chocolate flavored Clif Shots for the day.) I've tried pretty much all flavors, but usually when its warm outside. I don't dislike any flavors, but I would never admit they tasted good. However for some reason, this time...in the cold...in the middle of my long run...it tasted good. I'll have to keep you posted in future runs to see if I actually come to the same conclusion, but for now, I'm looking forward to my next long run so I can throw down some more Clif Shots. Is there something wrong with me?

1 comment:

Rainmaker said...

I haven't tried the chocolate ones yet - but I do have a chocolate sample one (same as the regular I guess) in my tri bag from some race this year. I might just consider eating it...or I might not.

See ya got a new profile pic as well...stylin'.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails