Monday, July 11, 2011

Things That Have Kept Me From Going Insane While Injured

As I alluded to in a previous post, I have been doing a lot of walking as part of my effort to keep some semblance of fitness and muscle while my foot injury heals.  Well ordinarily, I'd say that just plain walking would be boring to do day in and day out.  But for me, it isn't.  Why?


As you can see, he's a little out of breath from a recent walk/run :)

Let me introduce you to Tucker, the newest member of our family.  Rebecca has mentioned a few posts about the loss of Whiskey and ultimately our adopting of Tucker, but let me be the first to officially introduce him and his big smile.

We adopted Tucker as a rescue around Memorial Day.  He is a Boston Terrier mix (with a whole bunch of other breeds for good measure), 3 years old, and 30 lbs of pure lean muscle.  The little guy has some power!  And while I haven't been able to do any real running with him, Rebecca has managed to take him on a number of runs so far.  With as much energy as he has, I'm hoping that I'll be able to start wearing him out myself...once those pesky orthotics get in.

Regardless, I've been taking him on daily long walks around the neighborhood, with each day averaging between 3-4 miles.  So while I wasn't able to run much, I've still been getting out and doing something.

What I'm most proud of though, is that fact that during this 6 week period, I haven't gained any weight.  I got a little more focused on my diet and the quality of the foods I've been eating, but I also attribute a lot of it to the fact that I've still been burning a fair number of calories strutting around town with Tucker, instead of being depressed about not running and eating Cheetos.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Hi, my name is Richard, a random age-grouper that follows your blog. Although my dog, Rusty, a Boston Terrier has passed away, he was a great companion for a number of years. Tucker looks like he has a similar spirit as Rusty. If so, he'll buoy your spirits when your injured, and love running with you when your not. Heal up soon! --Richard

Lesser is More said...

Thanks Richard - sorry to hear about Rusty. Terriers certainly have a ton of energy! So even when I might not feel like going out for a run, I'll have to just to tire the little guy out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails